Motorcycle Safety Strategy
On Saturday 18th July 2009 the Ulysses Club Road Safety Committee held its inaugural meeting. Present at that first meeting were the following members representing all states and a wide range of organisations
• Neville Gray: UC# 3394 National Road Safety Coordinator, MRASA
• John Meara: UC# 19590 QMSAG
• Andy Luck: UC# 508 VMAC
• John Hooker: UC# 19095 MCC of NSW
• Dave Wright: UC# 51871 MRA WA
• Shaun Lennard: UC# 30576 AMC Chairman, Tasmania
• Jen Woods: UC# 21395 MRA ACT & National Vice President
• Denis Paulin: UC# 16672. National President /Public Liaison
One of the first tasks undertaken by the fledgling committee was to define the purpose of the new committee:-
1. To promote a safe riding culture within the Ulysses Club.
2. To ensure that the views of older riders are considered in developing road safety policy.
3. To facilitate the exchange of information between the National Road Safety Coordinator and the members of the Road Safety Committee.
To achieve this purpose involves identifying road safety issues that affect members, being involved in the formulation of policy and development of practical steps to address these issues.
We believe the purpose outlined above for the “Road Safety Committee” conforms to the 3 basic principles as outlined for the Ulysses Club:
1. To provide ways in which older motorcyclists can get together for companionship and mutual support.
2. To show by example that motorcycling can be an enjoyable and practical activity for riders of all ages.
3. To draw the attention of public & private institutions to the needs & views of older riders.
While there had been some discussion among the membership about becoming political, we understand that for this committee, politics is not party-political but simply the process we use to make decisions and help bring about change for the good of our members.
We agree we wish to speak with one united voice and follow the principles of the AMC whilst still adhering to the Ulysses Club’s 3 basis principles previously stated.
Queensland representative - Allan Smith